Saturday, August 13, 2011

Beachwood (Cleveland) Ohio Salvador Dali Museum Dedication Medal/Medallion/Coin.

Beachwood (Cleveland) Ohio
Salvador Dali Museum Dedication Medal/Medallion/Coin

I first encountered this medallion in late 2010.  At the time, I hadn't yet decided to go all-out for collecting Dali medallions, and I lost the sale to a fellow Dali enthusiast.

Since that time, I have become a more active Dali medallion collector, and have pined for the one that got away.  That is, until now.

This rare medallion finally showed up, and I stepped up to the plate to swipe it faster than lightning.

It was obviously made to commemorate the March 7, 1971 dedication of the original Salvador Dali Museum established by Mr. and Mrs. A. Reynolds Morse.

It is composed of 30g of .999 fine silver, is 1.5" in diameter, and is stamped on the rim with serial number "0156."  Interestingly, the auction I lost in 2010 was for medal number "0157."

In my experience, this medallion is extremely rare.  It is not clear exactly how many of these were actually made or distributed.  So far, I have only observed the two low number serials above.

Of the two that sold over the past year, medallion number 0157 sold for $86.  However, I paid far less for my medallion number 0156--more than 33% less, in fact.  At current market value for silver (~$40/troy ounce), there's only about $40 worth of silver in this medallion.  Therefore, this medallion is likely worth about $60-$70, on average.

Of course, it's really worth whatever you are willing to pay for it now that you know it exists.  Happy hunting!!!

No comments: